2020-21 Flu Vaccination Program
To support the health and well-being of UC students, faculty and staff, as well as our local communities, the University of California, in consultation with UC Health leadership, has issued a system wide executive order requiring all members of the UC community to receive an influenza immunization before Nov. 1, 2020.
The executive order is an important proactive measure to help protect members of the UC community — and the public at large — and to ease the severe burdens on health care systems anticipated during the coming fall and winter from influenza and COVID-19 illnesses.
In addition to protecting those on campuses and the surrounding communities, this requirement is designed to avoid a surge of flu cases at health care facilities across the state during the unprecedented public health crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Who is required to get a Flu Vaccine?
The executive order requires the vaccination for all faculty and staff who are working at a UC location. The university already has a clear policy on immunizations for students, and this action adds influenza to existing vaccination requirements for them, and extends the requirement to faculty and staff beyond those which presently exist for all UC health care workers.
All UC medical plans which cover faculty, staff and students include coverage for flu vaccinations at no cost to those covered by the plan. In addition, for those without group health care coverage, all ACA-compliant health plans also cover flu vaccinations as part of a preventive care package that includes no copay.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the best source for information on this year’s flu vaccination and when it would be available. UC will share in the coming weeks when this mandate will specifically be effective through as flu season may vary.
Exemptions and Accommodations
- For religious accommodation requests, please use the same ServiceNow form available here.
- For questions regarding your religious accommodation request, please email email@example.com.
- For medical exemption requests please print and have your personal health care provider complete the Medical Exemption form. Completed Medical Exemptions forms can then be uploaded via the same ServiceNow form available here.
- For questions regarding your Medical Exemption or General questions regarding the Flu Mandate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Students requesting Religious Exemption, please visit this page.
Flu Vaccine Self-Reporting: Please click here to verify vaccination via Service Now.
2020-2021 Mandatory Flu Vaccine Program Timeline