Re: General Education Changes
To: All undergrad students
CC: Faculty and staff
March 25, 2021
As part of continuous program review, the faculty have approved a number of changes to the General Education requirements for students who entered UC Merced in Fall 2018 or later, including transfer students who entered in Fall 2020 or later.
These changes will be reflected in the 2021-2022 University Catalog, but apply to all students as outlined below.
- Effective immediately, students will no longer be required to complete an e-Portfolio as part of their general education.
- Students may still be required to submit e-Portfolio assignments as part of individual courses.
Intellectual Experience Badges:
- Effective immediately, students will no longer be required to satisfy the “Leadership, Community and Engaging the World” or the “Practical and Applied Knowledge” badges.
- Beginning Fall 2021, remaining Intellectual Experience badges may not be fulfilled by participation in co-curricular experiences. Students currently participating in these experiences in Spring or Summer 2021 will be allowed to satisfy badges.
These changes are now viewable in your MyDegreePath (available through your UC Merced Connect portal).
- Review and update your MyDegreePath graduation plan (view the tutorial here ) to reflect these requirement changes.
- Connect with your academic advisor if you have questions about how this will impact your courses for Spring, Summer or Fall 2021 or your graduation plan.
More information about these changes can be found at https://ge.ucmerced.edu/ .
If you have additional questions, please contact your academic advisor.